Spend a week in Northern Michigan exploring regional ecology, water systems, agricultural landscapes, clean energy systems, and so much more! The program will also include opportunities for self exploration and reflection, learning to work with and learn from a variety of people from diverse backgrounds, and how to integrate ecological practices into daily life. Participants can expect:
- Two program options; seven days overnight from August 4 to August 10 or five days of daytime programming from August 5 to August 9
- One week spent in beautiful Northern Michigan
- A deeper understanding on how technological approaches mixed with practical skills can make a profound impact on their community
- Guided field trips focusing on land stewardship, water systems, agricultural practices, clean energy, and other technologies applied in the Green Industry
- Opportunities to engage with professionals to discuss what they do, career opportunities available, and why their careers are important to the environment
- A focus on self-exploration and learning how to work with others and become a leader
- Career skills development through participation in mock interviews, a resume writing class, and networking with green collar professionals
- A chance to unplug from personal electronic devices
Application Deadline: May 10
This program is ideal for those who are looking for an out-of-the-ordinary summer experience that will be unforgettable. SEEDS is looking for young adults who are interested in gaining more understanding about clean energy, food systems, and stewardship of the Earth. Learn about the diverse career opportunities that exist for green jobs, whether it is becoming an underwater drone operator to study the Great Lakes ecosystems, working in one of the many national parks as a ranger, or starting your own farm to table restaurant. The opportunities for green jobs are endless!
August 4-10 for full, overnight program
August 5-9 for day programming only, 8am-5pm
All programming will begin and end at Greilick Outdoor Recreation and Education Center in Grand Traverse County.
Tablets and laptops are not allowed during the program. Participants are asked to turn in their phones at check-in. Phones are kept by staff in a secure area and are available for one hour in the evening and in the event of emergencies only. Families are given on-site emergency contact information. Daily attendees are to also turn in their cell phones upon arrival and receive them back at the end of the day. Staff will be able to take photos to share with the group following the week of programming.
- Must be 18 or older at the start of the program to apply for overnight program; must be 16 or older to apply for daytime program
- No experience or education level requirement; this program is a safe space for those who have been passionate about nature all their life, as well as for those who are not as comfortable in the outdoors but would like to step out of their comfort zone
- Have an interest in practical applications to make positive social and ecological impacts in their home and community, and to learn what opportunities exist in this region
- Ideal for young adults with an interest in nature, clean energy, and/or ecology
- Great opportunity for those who are struggling to define their career path
We Will Provide:
- Lodging for six nights, whole-food meals, and transportation during the program (all-included overnight program, daytime program includes one meal and transportation during the program)
- Take-home resources and a journal
- All safety equipment, along with a safety-focused, trained and experienced staff
- A Venture Outdoors Certificate
Participants Are Required to Provide:
- Transportation to and from the program from the participant's home base
- Rain Gear
- Hiking Boots/Shoes
- Toilettries (overnight only)
- Bedding (overnight only)
Accomodations for Venture Outdoors will be a clean and comfortable lodge at Greilick Outdoor Recreation and Education Center in Grand Traverse County. The facilities are a 20 minute drive from Cherry Capital Airport. Uber, Lyft, and taxi services are available. There will be a modern, open bunkhouse with bunk beds and separate bathroom shower areas. All meals will be whole foods based; allergies and dietary restrictions will be addressed.
Please fill out our application by following the link below. If you would like more information, please contact Emily Elshoff at email@example.com.