Are you looking for an out-of-the-ordinary summer experience in one of the most beautiful regions on Earth? Find yourself in peaceful Northern Michigan. Venture Outdoors was created to help you find yourself through exploring nature, learning practical skills, and engaging in local solutions to global challenges. The week will also include opportunities for self exploration, reflection, meeting new people, and integrating ecological practices into daily life. Based in the Traverse City region of Northern Michigan, SEEDS Ecology and Education Centers offers Venture Outdoors as an opportunity to explore this unique bioregion from shoreline dunes to inland wetlands while learning new skills and confidence in outdoor exploration.
Participants can expect:
- An out-of-the-ordinary summer experience in Northern Michigan
- Guided field trips focusing on land stewardship, local climate change solutions, survival skills, and ecology
- Time for personal growth with guided yoga, meditation, mindfulness practices, creative thinking, and journaling
- Opportunities to engage with like minded individuals and create lasting bonds
- A focus on self exploration and development of uniquely you leadership skills
- A chance to unplug from personal electronic devices
- To take home skills and techniques to create change in their communities!
Application Deadline: Friday, May 1st, 2020
August 2-8 for full, overnight program
August 3-7 for day programming only, 8am-5pm
All programming will begin and end at Greilick Outdoor Recreation and Education Center in Grand Traverse County.
Outline of Planned Activities:
- Kayaking (instruction provided)
- Plant identification
- Shoreline ecology
- Urban trail exploration either by foot and bicycle
- Sailing and ecological monitoring excursion on Lake Michigan
- Local food systems and the edge of agriculture
Other activities available include hiking on the Greilick property, swimming (at your own risk), and daily cooking and nutrition skills.
- Must be 18 or older at the start of the program to apply for overnight program; must be 16 or older to apply for daytime program
- No experience or education level requirement; this program is a safe space for those who have been passionate about nature all of their life, as well as for those who are not as comfortable in the outdoors but would like to step out of their comfort zone
- Have an interest in practical applications to make positive social and ecological impacts in their home and community
- Ideal for young adults interested in nature and ecology
- Great opportunity for those who are looking to gain more leadership and personal skills
Included in the week:
- Lodging for six nights
- Three whole-food meals per day and snacks (daytime program includes one meal and snacks)
- Transportation during the program
- Take-home resources and a journal
- All safety and recreation equipment, along with a safety-focused, trained and experienced staff
Participants Are Required to Provide:
- Transportation to and from the program from the participant's home base
- Rain Gear
- Hiking Boots/Shoes
- Toiletries (overnight only)
- Bedding (overnight only): Sleeping bags are recommended
Accomodations for Venture Outdoors will be a clean and comfortable lodge at Greilick Outdoor Recreation and Education Center in Grand Traverse County. The facilities are a 20 minute drive from Cherry Capital Airport. Uber, Lyft, and taxi services are available. There will be a modern, open bunkhouse with bunk beds and separate bathroom shower areas. All meals will be whole foods based; allergies and dietary restrictions will be addressed.
We would like this to be a week for personal growth and relaxation. For this reason we ask that tablets and laptops be left at home. Participants will be asked to keep cell phone use to a minimum. Headphones during off times are discouraged. Families are given on-site and staff contact information in case of emergencies.
Please fill out our application by following the link below. If you would like more information, please contact Emily Elshoff at email@example.com.