Career Exploration

Career Exploration

SEEDS provides high school students with opportunities for education and career exploration through the following programs:

Kingsley High School Career Exploration

A group of Kingsley High School students meet every other week with SEEDS staff to delve into potential career interests. The students  have had the opportunity to meet with guest speakers and presenters, as well as to go on field trips depending on their interests. 

Examples of guest speakers include representives from Northwestern Michigan College and the restaurant 9 Bean Rows. Examples of field trips include the Dennos Museum and Munson Medical Center. The program is funded by Michigan Rehabilitation Services.

TBA Career Tech Center Experimental Education

Agricultural Science students at the TBA Career Tech Center had the chance to receive hands-on lessons from experienced farmers and professionals in the field. Coordinated by SEEDS, the students had the opportunity to hear from guest speakers specialized in other agricultural sectors, such as representatives from Boss Mouse Cheese, and to go on trips to local produce stores, such as Oryana. 

Christina Barkel of Birch Point Farm and Jess Piskor of Bare Knuckle Farms have brought in their expertise to the classroom with practical lessons. Topics have included the life cycle of garlic, farm marketing, creating business logos, soil science, beekeeping, and more. 

Natural Leaders Program

The Natural Leaders Program is  a partnership between Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore as part of the National Park Service and SEEDS. This program focuses on education and leadership development designed to inspire emerging environmental and community leaders. Natural Leaders are high school students from the region who participate in regular leadership building curriculum during the school year. These youth gain firsthand knowledge and experience through field trips, mentorship by conservation professionals, and by visiting the National Lakeshore and learning about National Park Service management of natural and cultural resources.

The 2018 field trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes will include a tour of the Kelderhouse Farm area in Port Oneida. The students will receive a chance for hands-on learning about apple grafting and gardening at the park.